Crockett, Texas "Paradise in the Pines"


Crockett is about 40 miles from where we are staying at our current volunteer job with VCB.  We had gone there once to pick up a prescription and get a few groceries but didn't venture down to the actual town.

I always have to look up the history of the town or what it’s known for or how it got it’s name….and of course things to do and see there. 

Here is what I found:

The town was named after David Crockett who reportedly had camped nearby on his way to the Alamo; the site was very near the Old San Antonio Road. A family from Tennessee donated the land for the town and named it after Crockett, whom they had previously known.


We, also pass through Groveton, on our way to Crockett to get groceries.  A week or two ago, on our way to Crockett, we passed a field where they had some guys in civil war uniforms.  We didn’t know what was going on till we got home and I Googled it….and found out they were enacting the battle of blackjack grove.  If we had known about it, ahead of time, we might have readjusted our schedule to include a stop while they were doing their re enactment.  


Anyway, as you approach the by pass, going around Crockett, the sign coming into Crockett says, "Crockett, Paradise in the Pines".  I am sure it is paradise for some, and to be fair, we haven't been here long enough to find out WHY it's Paradise in the Pines.  

This time, we decided to drive on into the 'town', just to see what it was like, but couldn't wait to get back out....it isn't that it's that big of a town, but once you got to the center of the town, they had roads going to the right, left and straight....but you don't know which one to get into because the roads aren't that well marked for us outsiders...till you are almost past it and everyone else, of course, knows which way they are going...except US...so they are already headed to the right, left or stay in the middle!!!  We just kept going round and round...the square....till we made a dive for one of the turns... LOL  We finally made it back out to the by pass....and were happy to stay on that.   

I had planned on trying to get my hair cut, that day, but we were so confused as to where to go and there weren't really good signs telling us which street was which....so we just decided I'd get it done another day in a different town.

Since then, I have been 'cutting' on my hair....and now it REALLY needs a professional's touch.  :-(

We did get a chance to try out the Whataburger, that day!!  Our younger Son keeps telling us we need to give it a try.  So, we finally did.
Avocado Bacon Burger
I need to go back, because I got an Avocado Bacon burger and didn't realize it wasn't going to be on a bun...and instead of it having slices of avocado on it, it had some sort of avocado sauce that was a tad spicy for me and I didn't particularly like it.  So, to be fair, OF COURSE, I have to go back and try one of their regular cheeseburgers before I give it a thumbs up or down.  But, the staff was very friendly and they bring your condiments to your table on a tray.


Till next time.....

Char

Comments

  1. I DO follow your blog. Met you here in Madras when you were having your big garage sale of all (or most?) of your craft supplies. You sound like you are in a very interesting area and getting to explore all around. You're a long way from Culver! Hope all is going well. I enjoy your very interesting blog posts. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's good to hear from you and I remember you!! I was wondering if you were still crafting and following my blog. It's good to know who is out there :-)
      I did get rid of a LOT of my supplies....but still am a SU demonstrator and kept as much as I could stuff in my little RV craft room. I bought myself a craft table to use in the RV. I'll have to post about crafting in a RV on the road :-)
      We plan on being back in the area this spring/summer. Hope to see you!

      Delete
    2. Yes I'm still crafting! I have my etsy store (My Pink Paper Cottage) and my blog pinkpapercottage.blogspot.com and wondered if you are finding some time (and space) to craft. Yes you should do a post about crafting in an RV. We got a little camper, just tiny, for the top of our small pickup.. is over the cab and has a nice biggish table area, so if/when we go camping with it, I'll be able to take a small tub of my supplies. Can't go anywhere without my craft supplies, a little bit of paper, some cards, etc. I found a SU demonstrator in Crooked River Ranch, Gina Anderson, and have gone to one of her classes. Is so far away though. When you come back, where will you be "stationed"??? Marilyn

      Delete
    3. Hey Marilyn, Send me your e-mail to Pawsn2stamp@gmail.com. I will answer you, privately, about when we are coming back and where we'll be. I would love for you to come visit when we get back.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi, please leave me a message now and then.....love hearing from you!!

Popular posts from this blog

A Memorial to our wonderful Annie!!

It's a God Thing, for sure