Still on the road

Good Morning,

We are still continuing our journey to IN to pick up our RV.

We have been through some beautiful states.  On May 23rd, we arrived in Kingman, AZ and visited my Sister for a few days and then we drove to Yuma and visited with his 93 year old Mom for a couple of days. When we left there, we drove up towards Flagstaff and headed east on I-40 and were able to go through the Painted Desert in AZ and the Petrified Forest (same road).


We stayed in Gallup, NM that first night.  Then drove on through the rest of NM...stopping at a gas station/Arby's in Tucumcari, NM where I encountered a gal in the woman's rest room that gave me a HELP note to take out to the front desk.  She was shaking so hard that I couldn't understand what she was trying to tell me what was happening...but I did what I was asked....and before we got our sandwiches at Arby's and headed for the truck, there were 6 police cars outside and the woman and her little girl were being helped and there was a guy being questioned with his hands above his head. 

They were there the entire time we ate our sandwiches in the truck.  When we pulled out, they were still there.  I'll probably never know what happened or what her circumstances were.  I am just glad I was there at the right time for her.

Then, we drove through Amarillo, TX (the song "Amarillo by morning" running through my head) and then on into OK (and that tune from Oklahoma ran through my head, as well) and we stopped, for the night, in Clinton, OK.  

We got into torrential rainstorms all the way across Arkansas.  Oh my gosh, never seen people drive 70 mph in rain so hard you can't see 5 feet in front of you....but they did NOT slow down.  Finally, we pulled over to the side of the road till it let up a bit.  But, only to get down the road and run into another bad rain storm.  

Well, eventually, going 70 mph and not slowing down.....does a number on someone.

These two cars evidently slid out and hit each other as one car's bags deployed.  The scary part before where I took this photo is when the whole line of traffic was trying to slow down to keep from hitting them and a trucker almost went sideways before he got stopped.  That didn't even phase them...because as soon as we got past, they were all going 70 mph again.  REALLY???  

So glad to get out of that storm and into TN.  We had planned on stopping in Jackson, TN but there were NO rooms available at any of the motels we tried....four in all, so we talked to our friends in TN and they said, just come on up tonight....it's only 2 1/2 hours away.  Well, we don't drive at night unless it's necessary......but this time, it was necessary!  

We finally got into their small town about 11:30 pm.  We had been on the road since 7:30 am so that was the longest day so far.  We visited about 45 minutes and then crashed in bed.

We have had a great time here.  I have seen fireflies/lightning bugs and different birds.  And, we are treated like royalty!!!  Oh gosh this gal can cook!!!!

Yesterday, they took us to an Amish Vegetable Auction.  OH HOW FUN!!!!!

The Amish auctioneers.  It was so much fun to listen to them.  It goes FAST!!  Wish we'd had room in our truck!  I did buy some Candy Onions, just because I had never heard of them.  I got a peck and it was $9.  We have enough to share where we end up staying the next couple of places.  Would have bought more produce to share, but like I said, our truck is PACKED!!!

An Amish father and his son watching the auction.

An Amish buggy and our truck.

David looking at the largest green pepper plant we've ever seen.

My friend, Teri, checking out the tomatoes.

Then, they took us to some Amish places where I was able to buy some Amish Raisin Bread and some Amish apple cinnamon rolls.  Oh gosh....they were good.....but I have to say that the Raisin Bread, although it was good, it was not as good as my friend Joanne Brewer makes. 

So, today is another day.  We are waiting for our truck plates to get here so that we can continue on with our journey to IN!  UPS sent them and they are to be here in 6 days....and today is the 6th day....so am holding my breath and keeping my fingers crossed that the PO gets them and delivers them on time.  

I am trying to not get too impatient to be in our 5th wheel and enjoy the journey but we've been without our own home now since April 28th.....and I am getting anxious to 'nest' again :-)  I DO enjoy all the diversity of our country!  I wish everyone I knew could see the different states and how very different they are and all beautiful in their own way.

I can do without any more of the southern torrential rains, though!!!

Anxious to see my lil buddy, Rita, as haven't seen her since about 2006.  

Have a fantastic day!!!

I'll share more in the next day or so.

Keep us in your prayers, we appreciate it so much!!!

Dave and Char






Comments

  1. Char, how u guys doin?? Caught up on the blog here, finally figured out how to go about and it it added to my others that I follow, so I can keep updated. Take Care!!! Hope u get good weather. My Iowa friend says it is so hot there!!! We are cold, had to turn the heat back on, and new snow in the mtns just the other day, geez.... Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Loree,
      We are doing great!! I need to update my blog but we've been so busy. Glad you found me and got subscribed.

      We've had great weather since we got out of Arkansas.....and it's in the 90's here in PA.

      Sure miss you and the other gals at class...can't wait to get back there to stamp with you guys!!!

      Love you too!!!!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad I found your "travels" blog! I had been once before when you first started it but it wouldn't let me "subscribe". I tried again today to subscribe but it says it isn't supported so I can't subscribe! Darn. It's fun following your journey. I did get your blog post for your Stampin' Up blog and was glad to see some of your news there too. What an adventure you are having! and it sounds though, like you already do miss your stamping and crafting! I'm sure you're looking forward to nesting again and having a little spot to play with your stamps and papers! I met you at your yard sale in Culver and was hoping to take in your yard sale in Redmond, but never did hear about when it was. Would have been fun to say "hi" again! Take care and enjoy your adventures. Sounds like you've had your share already! Marilyn in Madras

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi, please leave me a message now and then.....love hearing from you!!

Popular posts from this blog

A Memorial to our wonderful Annie!!

Weird Post

Crockett, Texas "Paradise in the Pines"