Cooper, Texas

On our way to Cooper, TX



We arrived in Cooper, TX on Saturday, January 6th just as it was getting dusk.  We had planned on being there earlier in the day, but we had a flat on the RV and had to wait to get it fixed before we could leave Mauriceville, around 11:30 am.  All good, as there were others there before us and we got a spot in front with no one on our passenger side, so it worked out well for Annie to get in and out of the RV using her ramp. 

When we got there, there was just a concrete slab but on Monday, the guys did a great job getting the sides of the building up
Over the next couple of days, they started putting on the walls, the braces for the pull through drive way and then the trusses.  


The ladies of the church served lunch and dinner each day.  They did a great job!!!  PLENTY to eat and even left overs to take to our Rigs after dinner, the first couple of nights.  Then, they adjusted the amount of food and there weren't left overs.  Which was a good thing.


I went with some of the VCB ladies to help at a Food Bank, on Wednesday of the first week.  We bagged up different produce and checked canned goods for leaks and pull dates.  It was an interesting tour.


I also went to Paris (Texas) with one of the gals, Donna, to pick up hoses for our RV's and to get my hair cut.  We had a nice time visiting and it felt good to get out and about.  

The next day, I visited with a few of the ladies and played cards at the hall.  The next day,  I was supposed to go back to the food bank with them, but woke up really sick.  I didn't know it then, but would be over 3 weeks before I would get to feeling better.

So, I spent the rest of my time in Cooper, in the RV, with the flu.  I wasn't able to get out and get photos of the trusses being put up or anything else  :-(

Our time in Cooper was met with an Arctic cold front that came in, soon after we arrived.  They said that this is just not normal.  Well, we are sort of getting used to hearing that 'not normal' here in Texas.  We had snow in Mauriceville and now below freezing temperatures in both towns.  So, we didn't get to experience a 'normal' Texas winter, evidently.

David also came down with something and wasn't able to finish volunteering his last few days there and the first couple of days here at Pineywoods.

Our actual volunteer job with VCB doesn't begin till the 19th of February but the camp allows volunteers from these different mission groups to stay here and help around camp, while they wait.  That's a blessing!!!

I know that there are some photos of what was accomplished in Cooper, TX on the VCB Facebook page , if you want to take a peek and scroll down through the other different jobs posted there. It's just so astonishing to me how much work these guys can accomplish within two weeks.

So, now I have you caught up to the present.  I am still recovering from the flu and David was told for me to take my time and get completely over it before I show up for work :-)  I don't think I'd be much help right now, anyway.

I am so thankful that they have internet here.  I can at least e-mail and catch up on my Blog.
The TV reception, here, is iffy at best...sometimes it comes in good and other times, it's not even intelligible.  But, it is what it is, right?  But, when it does work, it does help to pass the time when you aren't feeling well.  And, we have watched a few videos that we had brought with us to help pass the time at night.

Yesterday, David urged me to get out for a little ride into the nearest small 'town' for a few groceries. Before we left to go back, I sat outside, on a porch swing (they had for sale),....to rest.  It felt so good to just sit in the sunshine!!!  That little trek did me completely in but it also boosted my spirit.

I'll be sure to take lots of photos while I am here, as soon as I am out and about.  It's a huge camp with lots and lots of things for people to take part in.

David told me, today, that when they are in full swing, they have about 1,000 young people come through here in a week's time.  Check it out, if you are interested.

http://www.pineywoodscamp.com/


Hope everyone is doing well and looking forward to Spring...as much as I am.

Char


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Memorial to our wonderful Annie!!

Crockett, Texas "Paradise in the Pines"

Weird Post