Crossing Bridges, not my thing!!

This morning, I woke up at 3am and when I do that, I often jump online and Google a lot of different things I am interested in or have questions about.

I have been thinking, lately, of all the bridges we crossed over on our trip to Florida, this past December, and found out that we went over 3 of the top 10 longest bridges in the US.  Of course, I didn't know that THEN!!  Believe me, we went over a lot more bridges on that trip....but the following were three of those on the list of the top 10.

First on the list was the Bonnet Carre Spillway in St Charles, LA.  These photos were taken from the Internet.  The day we went across, it was foggy.  This was 11 miles long.



Then, there was the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge on I-10 between Lafayette and Baton Rouge.  It was 18.2 miles long.




Next was the Jubilee Parkway in Mobile, Alabama, which was 10 miles long.   It was foggy the day we crossed over and so I wasn't able to see too far out.



So, I got this photo from the Internet.


Some of the other bridges we crossed on our trip to Florida, on I-10, was the bridge going over the river at St Charles, LA BEFORE you get to the Bonnet Carre Spillway.


Since doing a little research on that bridge, I have decided I probably will never cross it again.  Here is an article I read.  http://www.reddirtreport.com/around-world/la-report-says-i-10-bridge-lake-charles-dangerous

Don't have to tell me twice :-)

The St John's River is in Jacksonville, FL and we had to cross the Buckman Bridge going over that river.


We found an alternate route to our Son's house in Orange Park, where we didn't have to cross that bridge but did have to cross another one....not quite as ominous to me :-)

I took this photo from that bridge, one night.



Back in the late 80's, we crossed the US many times in a Semi truck and crossed more bridges than I can remember.  And, on our trip back east starting in May of 2017, till the present, we have crossed many bridges over many rivers.  But, I will have to say that most of them didn't compare, as far as length, to the bridges that we crossed over on I-10 from LA to FL.

One thing I was thankful for, before we made the trip to FL, is that one of the church members in Mauriceville, TX, where we were volunteering, before heading to Florida, was giving us tips on the best route to take and he said if I was fearful of bridges to NOT go over the The Lake Pontchartrain Causeway as it is 23.87 miles long but to get off I-10 and take 12 and then reconnect to I-10.  We took his advice.  I didn't even look to see what the bridge over Lake Pontchartrain looked like, till just this morning.

So, of course, The Google Queen (as my younger Granddaughter used to refer to me) just had to Google it to see what we had missed, before writing this post.  SOOOO glad we took his advice.  :-)

If you just want to see a short video driving across the bridge....here you go:


For some more information, this is a short synopsis of what it's all about.


If you want a much longer history of the bridge, you can enjoy this documentary while you are eating your breakfast of lunch :-)  It's very interesting but I didn't make it through the entire 40+ minutes.


Another thing I don't care for are tunnels.  But, we have went through many a tunnel on our adventures across the US.  

Here's a video, I got from YouTube, taking you under the Mobile River in Mobile, AL, (that we went through)....and then emerging on the other side and crossing the bridge over Mobile Bay.  It really is quite the experience.


I'll be spending this weekend crafting and taking photos to do an upcoming post about crafting on the road.  I keep getting asked, by several gals, when I'll post that one. So better get it done, right?

Have a great weekend!!!  

Till next time!!

Char

Comments

  1. I'm amazed at so many bridges! Now I know why my sisters doesn't drive to Florida! She has a son and grandson there but always flies. She's scared to death to cross over bridges! Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus, it's faster to fly :-) I am not fond of bridges, either. Would rather see birds, butterflies, flowers!! :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi, please leave me a message now and then.....love hearing from you!!

Popular posts from this blog

A Memorial to our wonderful Annie!!

Crockett, Texas "Paradise in the Pines"

It's a God Thing, for sure